Introducing the SSL UF1! In the world of digital audio workstations (DAWs), the quest for the perfect hands on control interface is never ending. For those who crave tactile control over their DAW, the Solid State Logic UF1 might just be the answer. This DAW controller offers a unique blend of control over faders, EQ, dynamics, and hardware metering, making it a versatile tool for any audio professional.
Table of Contents
Is The SSL UF1 Compatible With My DAW?
That’s an excellent question, Solid State Logic says they have an ‘Open Daw Policy’. Meaning, the control surface works with all major DAWs.
Here’s what they say, verbatim
UF1 integrates with all major DAWs and includes workflow ready templates for Ableton® Live™, Cubase™/Nuendo™, Pro Tools®, Logic Pro®, Studio One®, LUNA™ and Pyramix™. Many producers and engineers prefer to split their creative process across multiple DAWs. UF1 is uniquely flexible and promotes SSL’s Open DAW Policy – Control 3 different DAWs simultaneously and keep your production and mixdown process agile. – (Solid State Logic)
The UF1: No Just Another 8 Fader Controller
Beyond being a typical 8 fader MCU and HUI controller, the UF1 distinguishes itself with its versatility and advanced capabilities. Their innovative Layers system integrated into SSL 360, which can be personalized to align with your DAW.
This unique functionality gives you the option you to effortlessly trigger macros and customize your control surface to suit your specific workflow requirements.
This control is rare to find in other controllers. Thus, making the UF1 a standout choice for those seeking a highly customizable controller.
Bridging the Gap
The UF1 is the third controller in SSL’s lineup, and it fills a unique role. It bridges the gap between the UF8 and the UC1 by functioning as both a DAW controller and a plug-in/Plug-in Mixer controller. This dual functionality makes it a valuable addition to any audio professional’s toolkit.
Connectivity and Control
The UF1 communicates with your computer via USB and features a Thru socket for chaining multiple SSL controllers to a single computer USB port. This feature makes it a great choice for complex setups with multiple controllers. The UF1 can control a bank of eight channels within the DAW, with the Channel encoder primarily used to shift focus along the DAW mixer.
SSL UF1 Is Designed with Style
Not only does the UF1 excel in functionality, but it also adds a touch of style to your workspace. Positioned conveniently, it boasts a row of five large, illuminated buttons, complemented by another row of six buttons that are pre-set to commonly used secondary functions.
What sets the SSL UF1 apart is its square layout, mirroring the appearance of the channel strip and bus compressor in the DAW plug-ins, as opposed to the elongated arrangement found in Plug-in Mixer channels.
A Powerful Hardware Meter
One of the standout features of the UF1 is its capability as a powerful hardware meter. While it is more capable than cheaper alternatives like the PreSonus Faderport, it’s not fundamentally different. The built-in displays, proper jog/shuttle wheel, and secondary control over four channels certainly elevate it above those devices.
Cool SSL UF1 Features
- Single Fader Controller: The SSL UF1 is a single fader controller, offering comprehensive control of your DAW.
- Advanced Workflow: The UF1 brings SSL’s renowned advanced workflow to your digital studio, enhancing your music production process.
- Hands-On Control: The UF1 provides absolute hands-on control over your DAW-based studio, allowing you to manipulate your music with precision.
- Feature-Laden Control Surface: The UF1 is a feature-laden control surface, packed with tools and functions that make music production easier and more efficient.
- Part of SSL’s Range: The UF1 is the third controller in SSL’s range, fitting comfortably between the UF8 and the UC1.
- DAW and Plug-in Controller: Serves as both a DAW controller and a plug-in/Plug-in Mixer controller, offering versatility in your music production.
- USB Connectivity: The UF1 communicates with your computer via USB, ensuring a reliable and efficient connection.
- Thru Socket: Allows you to chain multiple SSL controllers to a single computer USB port.
- Eight Channel Control: The UF1 can control a bank of eight channels within the DAW, giving you extensive control over your music.
- Illuminated Buttons: The UF1 features a row of five large, illuminated buttons, providing easy access to key functions.
- Square Layout Design: The UF1 matches the square layout of the channel strip/bus compressor as they appear in the plugins. This offers familiarity to the look.
- Powerful Hardware Meter: The UF1 is a powerful hardware meter, providing you with accurate and detailed information about your music.
SSL UF1 FAQ
|What is the SSL UF1?||The SSL UF1 is a single fader controller designed for comprehensive control of your digital audio workstation (DAW).|
|What makes the SSL UF1 unique?||The UF1 brings SSL’s renowned advanced workflow to your digital studio, providing hands-on control over your DAW-based studio.|
|What are the key features of the SSL UF1?||There are many, here are a few. A row of five large, illuminated buttons, another row of six buttons for secondary functions. A square layout design matching DAW plug-ins, and a powerful hardware meter.|
|Where does the SSL UF1 fit in SSL’s range of controllers?||The UF1 is the third controller in SSL’s range, fitting between the UF8 and the UC1.|
|How does the SSL UF1 connect to my computer?||The UF1 communicates with your computer via USB.|
|How many channels can the SSL UF1 control?||The UF1 can control a bank of eight channels within the DAW.|
|Is the SSL UF1 still being developed?||Yes, the UF1 is still being developed.|
|How does the SSL UF1 compare to other DAW controllers?||The built in displays, proper jog/shuttle wheel, and secondary control over four channels elevate it above those devices.|
SSL UF1 Conclusion
Yes, the UF1 comes with a higher price tag than most controllers. However, the convenience of having this integrated within a DAW controller is significant.
The UF1 is still being developed, and there are some minor bugs and limitations, but overall, it’s a powerful and flexible tool for DAW users. With its unique blend of functionality, style, and power, the Solid State Logic UF1 is set to be a game changer.
For more information, head over to Solid State Logic