Knock Plugin Review From Decap (Plugins That Knock)
Decap gave us 8 or 9 volumes of Drums That Knock. Now, he brings us the KNOCK Plugin!
Man, just check out these ‘before and after comparisons’!
Knock Plugin Features
Punch: A good transient shaper for making your drums KNOCK.
Saturate: Offers 3 different modes of distortion. Definitely use this on 808s and Drums.
Sub: Detects when a kick drum is present, and generates a layered sub-frequency tone, giving your kick a deep low-end presence. Select the pitch of your subtone. Perfect for breakbeats, and tuning your kick drum to the key of your song.
Air: Air is air… It adds a smooth lift (bump) in the high end given your drums (or whatever sound) or your entire mix that needed transparent sheen.
Clip: MAKES YOUR DRUMS KNOCK by pushing them the soft clipper adding a little warmth. The hard curve adds aggression while the soft serve adds roundness.
Wet/Dry: This allows you to control how much of the processed signal is mixed with the non-processed signal. aka Parallel processing
Plugins That Knock Review
Knock Plugin Pros and Cons
First the PROS
Knock is a useful production tool for both beginners and seasoned producers/engineers.
- Easy to use for beginners
- Versatile enough for seasoned producers/engineers
- Adds a lot of character to your
- Works great as an Insert or Buss effect
- Light on the CPU
- Sounds good
- Less than 20 megs installed! That’s a lot smaller than Cymatics Diablo
And Now For The Cons
There aren’t many, but here goes
- Lack of scalability: I wish it was scalable for people with bigger monitors such as wide screens this shows up pretty small.
- Lacks Noise: There’s no white or pink noise! If the plugin had this, that would allow more sound design options to really enrich and allow your drums to stand out.
- No Demo Version: While forgiving, it’s rather annoying. He does insinuate there may be one in the future.
What I like Using Knock On
- Drum loops
- Bus processing tasks
Applying it to a bus can not only add good tones and character but even add a little glue to the mix.
Knock Compatibility/System Requirements:
KNOCK works in all major DAWs
OSX: 10.12+ – AU, VST3, AAX
WIN: 8.1, 10 – 64 bit VST3, AAX
Ram: 8GB RAM required, 16GB recommended
Mac: Intel i5 – i9, Xeon and Apple M1
Windows: Intel i5 – i9, Xeon (5 and up), Quad-Core (AMD)
Space requirements: Minimum of 500MB
This is a great plugin. Decap is on to something here. Hopefully, he adds a demo version in the future. Click here for more info on Decap’s Plugin.