I’m not sure why Kilohearts decided to discontinue support for their synth, kHz ONE, but they did! I started using this synth back 7 years ago when as a Reason Rack synth and fell in love with it.
kHz ONE is a simple, Subtractive synth with a good sound and simple interface. Perfect for those new to sound design or anyone looking for a quality synth to add to their collection.
One (pun intended) I love about ONE is its organic sound. While it’s not Omnisphere or anything from Arturia’s arsenal of synths, it does sound better than most.
“kHs ONE is amazingly thick sounding, and is quickly becoming my fav new synth. Swedish engineering yet again!”
– James Wiltshire – Freemasons.
The presets are good starting points as well. You get leads, pads, basses, etc. Plenty to start with.
A few of my favorite patches are
- Freddie Moog
- Warm and Big
- Sub Support
Also, ONE is pretty light on the CPU.
With that said, if you’re looking for another synth to add to you’re collection, grab ONE. It’s free.
ONE’s Main Features
- 2 Oscillators: (saw/square/noise).
- Sub oscillator: Bass layer, great for making a sound heavier or thicker
- 2 Filters: This is where you carve the tones of your sound
- 2 LFOs: Low Frequency Oscillator
- 3 Envelopes: Amp/Filter/Mod).
- 8 voice unison: This controls how thick or thin a sound is
- 24 voice polyphony: This is how many notes you can play at once
- Env/LFO legato on/off.
- Portamento/Glide: This is a gliding transition between notes, great for creating humanization
- FX: Limiter, Chorus, EQ, and delay
“The sound is indeed excellent and the price is certainly right. If you’re looking to fill out your bass and lead sections with some authentic analogue oomph, this’ll do the trick nicely.”
– Computer Music
kHz One Overview: Lengthy, But A Good Watch
Also, if you’re looking for a batch of cool mixing plugins, check out Kilohearts Essentials, that’s also free, and you can down it on the kilohearts website.
Make sure you share this gem of a synth with a friend, don’t be stingy!